Wednesday 4 November 2015

WTCC

Crash damage cost me shot at WTCC victory, says Michelisz

-

Hungarian hero Norbert Michelisz says damage to his Honda Civic WTCC sustained in a collision in the opening WTCC Race of Thailand on Sunday undid his hopes of a second victory in this season’s FIA World Touring Car Championship.


Michelisz was a favourite for top honours in race two, which he started on the DHL-presented pole position for Zengő Motorsport. But car problems hampered his pace and meant he was unable to fend off Tiago Monteiro in the battle for first.



However, the disadvantage he was facing was rendered immaterial when he was handed a drive-through penalty after it emerged his team had infringed the parc fermé regulations. He was eventually classified P12.



“In the first race I tried to be safe after a good start I was around P8/9,” said Michelisz. “I saw that people in front started to fight through Turns 5 and 6 so I tried to take different lines to avoid trouble but I think because of contact in front, [Hugo] Valente went sideways in front of me and I couldn't avoid a big hit. The car had a big amount of damage. The guys did a fantastic job in repairing the Civic, and those from JAS, to get the car ready for the second race so I pass my thanks to them.



“In the second race my car was affected from the earlier damage so it was not easy to keep the pace I had earlier in the day. And then I was told on the radio of my drive-through and unfortunately my race was gone."

No comments:

Post a Comment